Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thoughts from Wednesday

It was a busy day today, and we are very tired, so here are a few of things that we did today. This morning 6 or 7 members of our team left at 6:00AM to go finish building a house that was started yesterday. The rest of us loaded 250 food bags onto the bus and headed out to distribute them under a bridge in Teguc. All 250 bags were sent home with hungry families. After finishing that we went to Nueva Oriental which is a feeding center that feeds 300 kids per day in a room that is about the size of half of our fellowship hall. Some of us helped feed the children, while others sorted clothes for the clothing distribution. Part of our team built a house for a family who desperately needed a dry place to pillow their head every night. This family of 7 children, ranging from teenagers to one year old, was sleeping in a “house” {made of pallets nailed together, with plastic lining the inside “walls” in attempt to keep water out.} There was one mattress that was on the ground, and when it rained the water ran straight in and covered the mattress that these 7 children shared. The youngest of the children has been in the hospital fighting pneumonia from sleeping on a wet mattress. So our team did an Extreme Makeover on this house, we completely tore down the old one, and built a new one that would keep the water out of the house, and the family off the wet ground. We also bought two sets of bunk beds and a hammock to put in the house so all 7 children wont have to share the same bed. Tonight it is POURING the rain, and as we lay down tonight, we know that there is one more family that won’t be sleeping on a wet mattress, and one more baby who won’t be in the hospital with pneumonia. In the afternoon as some of our team was finishing the house, the rest of us were working at the clothing distribution where there was nothing left to give at the end of the day, and a few of us did a VBS with all the kids whose parents were shopping for new clothes. Around 6:00PM we headed back to the mission house where we had a devotional, and ordered in pizza. God has blessed all of us in so many ways today! Please keep us all in your prayers as we visit some orphanages tomorrow!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Walter,
Just me again...Just wanted to remind you that I love you and everyday I look forward to reading all about the great, but hard work you are all doing. God bless you all...
Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Dustin,It sounds like you guys are really working hard , I'm so proud of you.I love reading about the wonderful work you guys are doing I must have checked the computer 5 or 6 times yesterday just waiting to read something it's just amazing how much work you all are doing.I love you and miss you and am praying for all of you.-----Mom,Dad and Dakota PS.I gave Papaw Miller the address so look for his commit.

Anonymous said...

HI Abby,
I can't believe it's already Friday and I haven't worried one bit about you. I know Gods providential care has been with all of you. It's so obvious by what I've read that God is melting your hearts,(and mine too!)You will have a bond with the Honduran people and with each other that will last a lifetime. I love and admire each one of you. "We always remember you when we pray, and we thank God for all of you.Every time we pray to God our Father we thank him for all that you have done because of your faith. And we thank Him for the work you have done because of your love. And we thank Him that you continue to be strong because of your hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 thess.12-3)
Love,
Mom (Lorry)

The Butterfields' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Butterfields' said...

We are so happy to hear that the family who so needed a new house now have one. We can just imagine the gratefullness they feel for you all and what a way to show them how to be Christlike.
You all are doing wonderful things for the families there and should feel proud of all you have accomplished thru God.
We love you Samantha, take care of yourself and enjoy your time there.
DAD, Melissa, Tawnya and Carl

Anonymous said...

HI JAMA & EVAN...

Hope you guys are well and hope Evan is feeling much better. We miss you and we are praying that God blesses you and this team every day. We look forward to reading this blog and missed it yesterday. The story about the house you guys built for that family is awesome. We are proud of you both for stepping out of your comfort zones to do this great work. Hasta la vista!!

Mart, Luke and Ry

Anonymous said...

Abby! (Xenia type)

I am amazed and so encouraged by your Godly example. It sounds like you guys are busy and really tired! I am encouraged every time I read a post on your progress--you all are doing incredible things for Jesus!

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
Matt 25:35-36
NIV

Love,
Scott

Casey said...

hey everyone,
i was greatly upset when i realized i was unable to go with you all because of my passport complications. I am so glad that you all are healthy and living and serving God! Keep up the good work!! Danny, Q, Walter and Liz!! I love you guys

nickmiller said...

Hi Abby,
It's your brother Nick. Hope all is going well. Say howdie to the folks of Guanaja if you seen any.