Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Another day in Hondo :)

Hi friends, this is Summer. I just wanted to send a quick update of today's happenings. We had a few "welcome to Honduras" moments today, but it ended up being an awesome day, full of God's blessings! Our plans got flipped around, but let me tell how amazing this team is!! They just rolled with it!

Our morning started off by filling food bags. We will be giving these food bags to 200 hungry families tomorrow. We were told that this was one of the fastest food bag preps. We all had a good time, singing and filling bags of rice.

We split our guys and gals for the rest of the day. Our guys went back to the same build site, to build another house. We were told that the wood would be there by 9, but we weren't too surprised that it didn't show up until 1. Our guys were very patient, and got some good soccer in with the locals.

Our ladies had a very emotionally trying day. We started the day off at Mi Esperanza, a place that helps impoverished women, by teaching them trades so that they can feed their families. The ladies served Our Father by getting manicures and pedicures. :) These services were done by women who have gone through Mi Esperanza. It really was nice to relax, but also awesome to be able to help them.

After spending time with Mi Esperanza, our ladies went to a very poor neighborhood to spend time with the children. God really is using our team in so many ways! I love watching everyone disperse, and find their group of kids. We had people coloring, singing, tracing hands, playing baseball etc. Near the end of our visit, Jen was approached by Noah, a local to this village. Noah is living in a house that TORCH built. He told us that there is a family in great need of a home. The team leads went with Noah (and probably 25 children) to see the existing home. I have seen poverty before, but have never seen anything like this. This home was built of wood scraps, probably 7x7, had only one twin mattress on the floor. This house is home to a mother and her 7 children. The youngest child is now in the hospital with pneumonia. The mattress in the house gets submerged every time it rains. This man went out of his way to ask if we could build this family a house, because he is concerned for them. We prayed about it, and Lord willing, we will be building there tomorrow.

The ladies then headed to Hospital Esquala, which is a free hospital. Most of our team went to visit with children in the cancer wing. Our ladies truly let God work in and through them. They were such a blessing to these kids and their families! We then went to see the malnourished children. This hospital visit was very taxing on all of us. It was hard to see so much pain and anguish, but I know that our ladies brought so much joy!

God is so evident in each member of this team! Please keep praying for us. Pray that we will be able to accomplish as much as God has marked out for us. Pray that fatigue wont overcome us. Pray that we will continue to receive opportunities, and that God will continue to bless this nation through us.

Keep posted for more updates. I would love to share more, but we have a long day ahead of us. Love to all!

HEYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whats up everyone, whats going on? I hope all is well with you all and that you guys aint worrying to much about me because im fine, for real im fine. I hope everyone is praying for Team Honduras because God is doing his thing out here. He is real if anyone thinks hes not make sure you tell him he is real. Yo, I learned some new words like much love which is mucho amor and the kids are having a blast out here because I told them my name in Spanish which is cuu the letter Q, I think that how its spelled. Yo, Tell moms that I am good and tell the kids at the club to stop running in the gamesroom. I hope everyone is doing good and I kind of miss you all and I do love you all. I really thank you all for all that you have done for me because I know I shouldn’t even be alive to type this but it wasnt my decision to keep me alive it was my fathers and everyone one of yall no that. If anyone gets a chance please tell my brothers (twins) to make sure they eat and shower. Oh yeah tell them to not play video games for more than 1-2 hours. Aiight I wont stop praying if yall wont and I love you all. Much love to all my family and friends and loved ones. Africa (as the kids call me in Honduras) signing off

Caleb Canton
AKA Q


Marty, Luke, and Ryder,
Hi all my boys---I love you so much.
Evan really really wants to know if you got ahold of his coach about next week—going to Austin’s. He wants to make sure it won’t mess up his chances of playing varsity or anything else. If it’s ok with his coach he wants to go if you can arrange it—Regina or someone will know their number or how to get it.
Everything is going great here. Maybe next summer we can all come. It’s unbelievable---everyone needs to experience this.
Keep saying a prayer for us everyday.
I miss all 3 of you so much and can’t wait to see you.
Kisses…hugs
Evan has been playing street soccer with Hondurans—it’s a mission for the older boys. Evan has also been sick. He hurled in the middle of the Honduran wilderness---on a 6 foot long machete. Oh the stories we have. Say a special prayer that he’ll feel better.
Hi to everyone else—see you soon.
By the way, no more fear of airplanes—the buses here are…………wicked. The Beast X 10.
LOVE, Love, love you guys,
Jama and Mom and Momma

Mom, and Dad
Im having a great time here and its really a life experience. I really wish you could have come with me but you can come next year with me so start saving. So many stories. Talk to you soon.

love Dustin
Hey Everyone!
This has been so amazing so far...this is truly what IT is all about. I can’t wait to share all my stories…I’m still trying to figure out how to put a little nine year old boy named Jimmy in my suitcase…he was at our worksite and he kept coming over and wanting to hang out with me…it was awesome. By the end of the day we had bonded quite a bit…when we had to leave he told me ‘good bye’…we had worked on that one all day…and then he really stole my heart when he said…in English… ‘I love you’…that was soooo sweet.
Today we visited a feeding center and I played baseball…it was fun...I made a double play! We also went to a childrens hospital and visited with kids there...a lot of the time we just sat there and rubbed their arms and legs…it was pretty difficult.
Oh…I also want to bring back one of our Honduran cooks…they are amazing…the dinners here are deliciouso!
Alright…my time is up. Abby is going to give me a haircut! Good night! I love you bunches! Chris, I should be calling home tomorrow evening…so answer your cell!
Thanks for the email Papaw! J

Erica

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to write and say that everything is going smoothly! I am having a great time. This is an experience I will never forget. If someone in my family is reading this, we get to call home tomorrow so make sure you answer the phone if you don’t recognize the number. Love you all.

Miranda



Hi Alan, Grant and Alana,
I sure hope you were able to figure out how to get on this blog. The trip has been quite something so far. We built two houses yesterday. The boys built today and the girls did some other things. We will have lots of things to tell you. Hope you guys are okey, we miss you and we love you. Love Susan(Mom)


Hello Everyone,
I’m not even sure that I have words to describe our experiences so far. Hannah and I are doing well – tired, but ok. We helped build a house yesterday, literally on a mountainside that we had to hike up the hill to. It poured the rain, but we sang “Lord Reign in Me” – not “rain on me”. Anyway, it was a great experience. Today we went to a feeding center – the kids constantly bombard us wherever we go. We then went to a state run hospital and visited the pediatric oncology ward and the malnutrition floor. I do not have words to describe that experience. You all would have been so proud of Hannah – she went to the sickest (sp?) child in the oncology unit and sat there and rubbed his arm and talked very quietly to him. It moved me to tears. Last night we went to the “Statue of Jesus” for our evening devo – a huge statue that overlooks the city of Tegusigolo (sp?).

Time to go to bed – others are waiting. We love you all and miss you. Oh by the way, Hannah is married – to Walter Guerra! Just kidding – he was protecting her from the Honduran boys at our work site yesterday. Don’t be scared Dad – she was fine! They just thought she was pretty. Love you all bunches and miss you. Rachael, Q says hello.
Hi Mom – doing fine! Love you, Becky and Hannah

Hey! Gotta make this quick, but I love and miss you all : ) Things have been difficult yet so amazing. I can’t even believe all that’s happened. I can’t wait to tell you all about it. Please continue to pray for me and the whole team. Like I said, I love ya!
Abby Miller, Xenia

MILLERS (Marietta)
Hey I am the last to go and we are already supposed to be off of here so this must be quick. Things are still going great. I am enjoying myself and changing more with each experience. I have so many stories to tell you guys and pictures to share with you, but I will Never be able to explain this experience to the extent that you would understand. I am sorry this is short, but I love you guys so much, and appreciate the cards you sent. It is really helping me through this trip. Miss you guys, can’t wait to see you!! By the way, we should get a chance to call home tomorrow, so bring your cell phone with you Mom, I will call it. Love, Abby

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I sit here with my bowl of already soggy cereal (from reading not eating) I have tears dripping into my bowl. You guys are awesome and I love you. We will pray for Evan and all of you. You are just shining and showing the people what Jesus is all about. Be strong and courageous cause God is with you.

Jim, Melissa and JD Ogden

Anonymous said...

Read the blog at 2am and couldn't get back to sleep. Keep thinking of you so far away and realizing everyday what a mighty God we serve! How blessed we are to be called children of God. All of you are loving like Jesus. Thank-you for your example. You are constantly in my prayers. How are the Spivys? Haven't heard anything from them. Hope to hear from you today be prepared I will probably cry.
Love, Mom aka(Lorry Miller)

Anonymous said...

Abby!
I'm so glad to hear you are safe and are experiencing the joy of serving others for Christ. I am praying for you every day throughout the day that God would use you and that you will in turn be touched by your experiences. I am so proud of you--you are a strong woman of God. I can't wait to hear about all of your experiences!! Miss you and think of you often...
Love,
Scott

Anonymous said...

Melissa is right. We read your stories and fill our eyes with tears. I am so proud to know many of you and to know of all of you. But most of all to know Christian is a word with action. Prayers for healing of Evans 'h...ing', rest for everyone, and continued blessings for all.

Eric, Carissa, Brandon and Matt Bucklin

Anonymous said...

It's very difficult to read this blog through streams of tears!Reading about your experiences is incredibly touching. I am praying for each of you. What a wonderful family we have in God!! Keep spreading the light! Love and prayers to you all ~ see you soon.
Sudona

Anonymous said...

Susan and Seth - We're back on Joe's Run. Memaw is here so we're getting to visit and she's getting info from the blog.
Big excitement yesterday. Dad killed a 4 ft. Timber Rattler w/ 15 rattles, about 1/4 mi. above the cabin. Tell Seth we skinned it for him.
It sounds like you guys are having a powerful expieriance. We look forward to hearing all about it!
Love,
Alan, Grant, Alana and Memaw.

Larissa said...

Miranda, We just got your message. We are glad to hear that you are all safe and having a good time. Grandma and Pap's computer is down or she would have wrote to you. We will let everyone know that you are doing well. Well we have to go to church. We miss you and love you. Tell everyone I said hi.
Lots of love,
Mom, Dad, Rissy, and Jenna

Anonymous said...

Hey Walter,
There arent words to describe the feeling that comes over me when i read all of the amazing things you guys are doing. I am so very proud of you...we all are. I cannot stop the tears of joy and admiration. I thank you for your example, for stepping out on faith, and being a part of such a great cause. God bless you papi.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Jama & Evan!

Sounds like you guys are on the adventure of a lifetme. We are praying for you and the safety of the team every day. We are also very, very proud of the work you and everyone is doing over there!....Tell Evan not to worry about soccer--it's fine. I'll arrange the trip to SC as well.....IMPORTANT...Man vs. Wild recommends chewing on ginger root for nausea! Or--if you can make a quick trip over to the Belizean jungles--chewing on Jatoba tree bark and/or the pulp of the Noni fruit should provide some relief....We love you guys and miss you both very much! Can't wait to hear all the stories--U should keep a journal....Be safe and tip the bus drivers well!

Mart, Luke & Ry

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone! It sounds like you all are having a wonderful time....everyone except Evan....haha Just kidding, Evan! We can't wait for you all to get back so we can see the pictures and hear the rest of your tear-jerker stories!!! Be safe! Love you all! See you when you get home!

Anonymous said...

SO, the above statement is from us, Ryan and Jessie!!! I was an idiot and forgot to put our name on it! haha OK, let's try this one more time!

Anonymous said...

Abby,

My beautiful Abby I'm so proud of you and the work that you are doing for those less fortunate than we are. I know I would want to bring all the children home with me if I could. All of you should be so proud of what your doing. May God bless all of you and have a very safe trip home. I love you very much.

Grandma and Grandpa.

See you soon!