Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Climbing the Mountain (Day 2)

Yesterday the group was divided into two teams (dingo & fuerte, dingo is an inside joke). Both groups were taken as far as the bus could travel (much farther than most bus drivers in the US would dare go--the rides remind you sometimes that we are always near to eternity).

One team (fuerte) went to a church that works on one of the mountains. They interacted with children and adults, helped build a classroom for the church, and found the people to be helpful. The team did more they had imagined they could (as builders) and God used them in building his kingdom through showing Jesus and seeing him and his work in the world.

The other team (dingo) came to the bottom of a hill covered with houses, looked up a path, and were told they had to take the tools up to the work site. No problem. Then they learned they had to take the lumber to the top... Eventually the team got everything in place just as the rain storm came they were putting the roof and the finishing up the fourth wall of the house. The family who would live there came in as the wife and husband, dressed in their Sunday best, helped with the finishing touches and cried.

Last night our devotional was on the top of the Mountain where a large statue depicting Jesus is erected so it can look over the city of Tegucilgapa.

God bless.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you guys doing such awesome things. I am so happy for you all to have this experience. Sounds as though you are making an impact on the people of Honduras. Not to sure about the bus ride yikes. Enjoy your time there. Hug the kiddo's for all of us back here.

Jim, Melissa and JD Ogden

Anonymous said...

Hi Abs,
So are you a dingo or a fuerte?I'm been trying to invision what you are doing at different times throughout the day.I want you to know that you have inspired me and now I know that I too can face my fears and do this trip. Next year, you and me kid. Can't wait till you are home and able to share all of the wonderful things you've experienced. Keeping all of you in our prayers.
Love, Mom

The Butterfields' said...

Hi Samantha,
We looked up a picture of the statue on the web. It is enormous. What an amazing sight.
We hope your day today has been productive and that everyone is doing well.

Anonymous said...

Abby Miller! I am so glad that you are having such an amazing time. It is so exciting to read all that you are doing and the way that God iw working in your life. You've only been there a couple days and you seem so much different in your posts. I am so proud of you and love you so much. I can't wait to hear all about your trip. And...I'm going with you next year too!! Love you-Annie

Anonymous said...

Hi Walter,
Sounds like an incredible journey...We are all very proud of you and pray you continue to do well...We love you and miss you much...Cant wait to hear more...
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

HEY DUSTIN,
IT SOUNDS AMAZING I WISH I WAS WITH YOU,I WOULD LOVE TO HOLD AND CUDDLE WITH ONE OF THOSE PRECIOUS LITTLE KIDS.YOUR DAD,DAKOTA MAMAW AND PAPAW SAID KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK , GOD IS GOOD. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU LOVE AND MISS YOU ----------LOVE YOU===MOM

Anonymous said...

Dear Walter,
I'm so proud of you child!
Just a little note to tell you that I'm praying for you and your friends for physical and spiritual strength. I will continue to read and keep up with all the great experienes you are going through. Can't wait to see you again.
Love you mucho, mucho
Grandma and Memo