Saturday, June 5, 2010

2010 Day 1 - Saturday 5th

Today is my first day on my first mission trip. Every experience is a new one. Every sight is a new vision. I really had no idea what to expect; I still feel as though I haven't seen anything yet.
Our morning began...early. That is the best way to put it. We met at GC at 12:30 this morning. After a great pep talk and some devotional time, we loaded our bus and started our dark journey to Columbus. My wife will let everyone know how cold it was on the bus; she is not afraid to tell it like it is.
Without incident, we arrived at Columbus. Without incident, we checked our luggage. Without incident, we boarded our plane. Without incident, we switched planes and did it all over again. God has set a clear and problem-free path for us so far. We cannot thank Him enough for His amazing role in our travels. Horror stories always surface when people speak of international flights - we won't be joining in on the stories this year. Thank you, God, so much for being with us and being evidence on our trip. Without fail, God, you are faithful, and you are merciful to us.
Once we arrived in Honduras, we headed out to the Good Shepherd orphanage where over 200 children have found a loving and caring home. These kids have come from all kinds of living arrangements and all have different stories of what got them to Good Shepherd, but one thing is the same for all of them - they are loved.
Upon arriving, hearing the kids' screams of excitement, the energy became infectious. Their smiles led to smiles from our team. Their joy led to joy overflowing from the sliding door of our yellow bus. The best thing about these kids - they wanted nothing from you but a little attention. They didn't want you to sweet talk them. They didn't want your money. They didn't desire anything but a little love. Seeing them attach themselves to a group member was amazing. Whether it was playing soccer (and I don't mean recreationally...I mean all-out), coloring in a coloring book, or making paper airplanes, these kids were happy. They were content. It wasn't about their horrible past family life. It wasn't about their one-time life on the streets. It was about here, and it was about now. How awesome to see God in those little faces.
It was hard for me to find my place at the orphanage. I don't speak Spanish and most of them speak no English. We are lucky to have some Spanish speaking members, so the obstacle is not impossible. No matter how hard it was for me to speak to a child in whom I have no connection, no shared memories, no common bonds, all they wanted to know was that I love them...even for just that one second. Even if it was only a trading of names, there was love shown. Even if all we did was pass the soccer ball back and forth with them, there was love shown.
God, you are awesome. Your works are as great here in Honduras as they are at home. Your love is just as evident here as it is back in Parkersburg. Thank you for not forgetting about these people. Thank you for being with them through all they do. Thank you for changing a country in need of change. Thank you for bringing me here - for showing me so much in such a short time. God, break down the walls I have around myself - take away all selfishness I have inside of me. I want to live for you this week. God, you are everything.

Andrew Moore

6 comments:

Anne Sausen said...

So glad that you are all there safely. Have an awesome week. Love and hugs to John and Garrett Sausen.

Emily Moore said...

hey brother, i'm happy to hear that you and leachelle and everyone made it there ok. hope you take advantage of your short time there. God definately has great things in store for this trip. tell honduras i said "hola" and my prayers go out to all of you in the mission field. - In Him - Emily

Chuck said...

Glad to hear that everyone made it safely. All of you are in our thoughts and prayers! Love to Lindsey-your Mom and sister and I are very proud of you!

Anonymous said...

So glad you all had safe travels. Your journey is just beginning. The country and children therein will steel your hearts. :)

Melissa Ogden

jennybortell@blogspot.com said...

Thank you for keeping us up to date, Andrew. You'll be so tired in the evenings that I'm sure it'll be a sacrifice to try to put into words what your day held. Please know how much it means to us at home to share in your week. God bless.
Jenny

Brette said...

Hi Lukie! Hi Jama! I'm so glad everyone had a safe trip there and I know you're working hard. Lukie I am SO PROUD of you and I love you to pieces!! Jama, you're ok, but I love you too.Thinking of you guys.